VISA ON ARRIVAL FOR AFRICAN UNION NATIONALS
The Ghana Immigration Service [GIS] wishes to bring to the attention of the general public that, with immediate effect all African Union [AU] Nationals whose countries do not have a visa free agreement with Ghana would be able to obtain visas on arrival at the Kotoka International Airport [KIA].
This current arrangement would be piloted at KIA for three  months, and thereafter extended to all other entry points of the country.
It would be recalled that His Excellency the President, John Dramani Mahama in this year’s State-of-the-Nation address delivered on 26th February, 2016, informed Parliament that all AU nationals will from July, 2016 be issued with Visas on Arrival following a decision taken at the Executive Council Meeting of the African Union.
The GIS being the government agency mandated to regulate migrant flows into the country, intends to ensure the smooth implementation of this new policy. The Service has therefore initiated the following modalities to give effect to the policy;
- All AU nationals affected by this policy who arrive in the country must have a passport, valid for at least three (3) months, from the date of entry.
- They must have a return ticket or evidence of onward travel.
- They must show evidence of sufficient funds and proof of accommodation before they are granted visas.
- All such visas would be issued for validity of 30days with a fee of $150.00.
- Additionally, they would be subject to the provisions of Section 4 of the Immigration Act, 2000 (Act 573) which applies to all travelers entering Ghana.
The general public as well as foreign Missions and Embassies are entreated to take note of the modalities. The Ghana Immigration Service would continue to execute its mandate professionally and effectively, having in mind the nation’s policy of making Ghana an attractive destination to investors and tourists.